11.19.2008

My Crate Beginning



Her name is Rachel. She's seven years old and with her birth came the birth of my new hobby. Her mom, Anna, and I were college roommates. Anna was a nursing major while I majored in English. So when I learned that Anna was having a baby I knew right away what gift I would give-- BOOKS! I shopped for some great children's books to start Rachel's library. (Next to trying on new shoes, browsing through endless shelves of picture books is my favorite shopping activity!) Finding a cute container for the books was a much harder task. I considered baskets, plastic bins, and tote bags, but nothing I found seemed quite right. When I stumbled across an unfinished wooden crate at a craft store the juices started flowing! Nothing says "baby" more than Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star so off I created from there! I've done some different takes on this design since then, but my original crate remains near and dear to my heart, just like Anna and her baby, Rachel.

1 comment:

lizap said...

I can't believe Rachel is 7!